A country house rich in heritage and character
The Lodge was originally built in 1865 for the Estate Manager of nearby Ashford Castle which dates right back to 1228 when it was founded by the Anglo-Norman de Burgo family, descendants of William de Burgh, a knight who settled in Ireland in 1185 and who claimed direct descent from Charlemagne.
After more than three and a half centuries under the de Burgos, Ashford passed into the hands of Sir Richard Bingham, Lord President of Connaught. Many years later Dominick Browne received the estate in a Royal Grant and in 1715 his family built a hunting lodge in the style of a 17th-century French chateau. The double-headed eagles still visible on the roof of the castle represent the Browne coat of arms.
The estate was purchased in 1852 by Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness . He added two large Victorian-style extensions. He also extended the estate to 26,000 acres, built new roads and planted thousands of trees. On Sir Benjamin's death in 1868 the estate passed to his son Lord Ardilaun who expanded the building further in the Neo-Gothic style.
It was during this period that The Lodge was constructed. In addition to providing a home for the Estate Manager it also hosted a variety of guests who included fishermen, walkers and friends of the family.
In 1939 the castle was turned into a hotel, with The Lodge continuing to host guests and events. Acquired in 2014, it is now part of the award winning Red Carnation Hotels Collection and offers mellow country house hospitality, artfully combined with chic contemporary style, to discerning travellers from all over the world.